Dec 18, 2013 – Maricopa County, Arizona
In Maricopa County, Arizona (where Phoenix is located), the police arrest 111 people in a massive prostitution and drug sting operation called Vice Grip. Here is the tally of this large scale sting operation.
- More than half of the 111 arrests are for various sex- and drug-related felony charges, including 20 arrests connected to child prostitution.
- 30 soliciting a minor for prostitution
- 31 misdemeanor prostitution charges
- 21 drug-related felonies
- 18 adult business misdemeanors
- 16 outstanding felony warrants
Profiles of some of those arrested:
- Jerry Marfe, 54, high school chemistry teacher at Betty H. Fairfax High School in Laveen resigned after being caught soliciting underage prostitutes.
- A DirecTV employee still in his work uniform
- Repeat level two sex offenders: Raymond John Cordero and John David Wythe, 48, who had served 10 years in prison for child molestation
- The charges these 30 suspects face (soliciting a minor for prostitution) are class 2 felonies, which could mean a minimum seven years in prison.