November 18, 2013 – Ohio and Baltimore, MD
These double digit year prison sentences are not reserved only for those who pimp out underage children. Bennie Veasey, 35, of Cleveland, Ohio was sentenced in Baltimore County Circuit Court to 20 years in prison on human trafficking and prostitution charges. Veasey lured a 19-year-old woman from Ohio into a prostitution ring and that she was coerced by Veasey to act as a prostitute and hand over her earnings to him. Prosecutors say Veasey was using the money to pay off lawyer’s fees stemming from a rape charge in Cleveland.
Ohio man gets 20 years for human trafficking
Dec 18, 2013 – Maricopa County, Arizona
In Maricopa County, Arizona (where Phoenix is located), the police arrest 111 people in a massive prostitution and drug sting operation called Vice Grip. Here is the tally of this large scale sting operation.
- More than half of the 111 arrests are for various sex- and drug-related felony charges, including 20 arrests connected to child prostitution.
- 30 soliciting a minor for prostitution
- 31 misdemeanor prostitution charges
- 21 drug-related felonies
- 18 adult business misdemeanors
- 16 outstanding felony warrants
Profiles of some of those arrested:
- Jerry Marfe, 54, high school chemistry teacher at Betty H. Fairfax High School in Laveen resigned after being caught soliciting underage prostitutes.
- A DirecTV employee still in his work uniform
- Repeat level two sex offenders: Raymond John Cordero and John David Wythe, 48, who had served 10 years in prison for child molestation
- The charges these 30 suspects face (soliciting a minor for prostitution) are class 2 felonies, which could mean a minimum seven years in prison.
111 arrested in massive prostitution, drug sting by MCSO