July 22, 2013 – Des Moines, Iowa
On July 19, 2013, Johnelle Lewis Bell, age 29, of Hammonton, New Jersey, was sentenced in United States District Court in Des Moines on charges of sex trafficking and associated charges. Bell was sentenced to a net term of imprisonment of 360 months (30 years), to be followed by five years of supervised release.
While this case dealt primarily with young adult females roughly 19-23 years of age, at least two of the young adults involved in this case reported becoming engaged in prostitution as minors, by at least about ages 16 or 17.
Here are the 12 charges against Bell.
- Count one: conspiracy to commit sex trafficking: 360 months’ imprisonment
- Counts two and three: sex trafficking: 180 months’ imprisonment on each count
- Counts four through seven: coercion or enticement to travel in interstate commerce for prostitution: 240 months’ imprisonment on each count
- Count eight: conspiracy to transport in interstate commerce for prostitution: 60 months’ imprisonment
- Counts nine through 12: transportation in interstate commerce for prostitution: 120 months’ imprisonment on each count